left right Iranian citizen and U.S green card holder Cyrus Khosravi (L) greets his brother, Hamidreza Khosravi (C), and niece, Dena Khosravi (R), 2, after they were detained for additional screening following their arrival to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to visit Cyrus, during a pause in U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban in SeaTac, Washington, U.S. February 6, 2017. REUTERS/David Ryder 1/4 left right Beth Kohn protests outside the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals courthouse in San Francisco, California February 7, 2017, while the Court hears arguments regarding President Donald Trump's temporary travel ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries. REUTERS/Noah Berger 2/4 left right Shanez Tabarsi (R) is greeted by her daughter Negin after traveling to the U.S. from Iran following a federal court's temporary stay of U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order travel ban at Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S. February 6, 2017. REUTERS/Brian Snyder 3/4 left right The James R. Browning U.S. Court of Appeals Building, home of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, is pictured in San Francisco, California February 7, 2017. REUTERS/Noah Berger 4/4 By Steve Holland and Ayesha Rascoe | ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE/WASHINGTON
ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE/WASHINGTON U.S. President Donald Trump said late on Friday he is considering issuing a new travel ban executive order, while a White House official said the administration did not plan to escalate a legal dispute over Trump's original travel ban order to the Supreme Court.
Trump's original order banning entry to the United States by refugees and citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries was put on hold by a federal judge in Seattle last week with a temporary restraining order, and that suspension was upheld by an appeals court in San Francisco on Thursday.
Trump said during a surprise visit with reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Florida from Washington that he was considering "a brand new order" that could be issued as soon as Monday or Tuesday if the administration decides to move in that direction.
The White House official separately said: “We are actively considering changes or other executive orders that will keep our country safe from terrorism.”
The official said: “The temporary restraining order, we would not take to the Supreme Court, but we are reviewing all options in the court system.”
(Additional reporting by Mica Rosenberg in New York, Doina Chiacu in Washington and Daniel Levine in San Francisco; Writing by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh, Frances Kerry and Bill Rigby)